Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Are acrylic nails worth it?

I really like wearing fake nails, a friend suggested that i get semi-permanent acrylic nails, but then another friend told me that her nail got really badly infected after getting her's done. What would be the risks and is it worth getting them done? Do they fall off or bend?...Are acrylic nails worth it?
Hello, I have worn nails for about 6 years now, I am also a nail tech and used to work at ANT, If your friends nails got infected it would have been a fault of the nail techs not the acrylic. I have had acrylic, gel and fiberglass, and I prefer gel, it tends to be more flexable than acrylic whilst still strong, some techs put arylic on too thickly too, gel tends to be thin but strong. Why not go to The Nail Geek (google search it) I think its www.thenailgeek.com it is where all the nail techs go, top nail techs too, all the girls and guys from Creative, from the Sweets to Leighton Denny, Rachel from K-Sa-Ra etc. Ask them any questions and they will also be able to recomend a GOOD nail tech in your area. I am in France now so am out of the scene a little.





I must admit that wearing false nails gives me more confidence, my own nails grow fine, but they never look as nice, and the varnish etc lasts longer on falsies.


Good luckAre acrylic nails worth it?
Acrylic nails are a gel put on over the top of your natual nails or if you havent got very long ones they add tips as well, which will grow out over time.


they only get infected if you dont keep them clean (underneath ur real nail and around the acrylic one) also they are actually not that good for your nails i had them done for my wedding and even tho they looked great and lasted 2 weeks or so. they start to discolour (obv cuz of different things you handle) and they are expensive to have replaced/refilled if you want to maintain them and keep them for a longer time. they warped my nails and put grooved in them, they dont fall off they are basically a acrylic/sillica thats hardened onto the nail and then they are like a really really hard nail varinish, and when start to grow out they are like nail varnish you have the bit at the bottom of your nail that is by the cuticle that has no acrylic on them and is your natural nail so you have quite a groove because the nails are layers and layers of the silica/acrylic i wouldnt reccommend them for what they do to your nail - but its like all false nails that. however for looks they are great, its just keeping them looking great that costs a bit? but thats like anything too.


id try them to see what you think after all you might really like them and want to keep them?
No, no, no! They look great and I loved them when I had them but not only are they expensive to have put on initially but the maintainence fees are large too (I had to have mine filled every 3 weeks or so).





When I took them off - sheesh! My real nails were so thin that I could see through them and it took months and months for them to become healthy again.





Grow your own - buff them, use strenghtening polish and cuticle oil.
I have worn acrylic nails for years. They are marvellous. I only ever had one infection and that was because I used a dodgey woman who did them at home. Hygiene is of the utmost importance and all salons will have been checked out. They can't afford to have bad publicity. What I usually do is get their trainee to do them and that costs around 拢15.00 for the whole set. If you want the ';top'; staff it'll cost about 拢30 or 拢32. They never bend or fall off. What happens is that after about a month you need to have an infill where there is a gap between nail and cuticle. The salon will fill this and file down the length. Go for it, you will love them. You could always have a go yourself, but I can't do it I'm no good working with my left hand!
no, they don't feel nice
why? why not just wait for your own 2 grow
Don't do it! I had them a few times and whilst they looked fantastic my nail bed was quite badly damaged and even now, 5 years later, my nails are ridgy and mis-shapen. I don't think they are worth the bother.
They are really expensive to keep up (you have to have them filled every other week). Around $30 first time then $20 every fill-they also damage your real nails and can start all kinds of fungus on your real nails.When they ';pop'; after you hit them on something then you will be ready to rip them all off! It's just not worth the time, money, or damage!
I had acrylic nails for a few years and really liked them. My nails just don't grow well and break into the nail bed -- so I often get infections from my natural nails breaking! Right now, I want to go back to fake nails -- and have heard gels are better -- but I don't have the money. I found the problem with fake nails is that they were expensive (about $60 a month to maintain) and time consuming (about 90 minutes every two weeks). However, if I had the time and money, I'd do them! I have even had artificial nails break off and lost a natural nail (like another posting said, it was horribly painful, but it did grow back )-- but my nails really are bad and very embarrassing.
No-your nails will get thinner and thinner then you will get a green/black fungus and the nail may even fall off.Dont do it!!!
They look really nice and I did it for a few years straight. They're just too much hassle so I stopped getting it done and I probably won't do it again. Just make sure to get pink and white. They look the best and get them rather short and square. They look tacky long.
Yes, I think they are. They are fairly pricey and need infills every 3 weeks. On the plus side, you can use very cheap quality nail polish and it wont chip and lasts for up to a week before you need to repaint. So you will save on time and money. I had acrylics on and off for years and never had any problem with infection. Note everybodys comments about the after effect though. Your own nails will be paper thin and soggy underneath, probably needing 3-6 months to regrow properly. good luck
Get gel nails. They are a few dollars more(maybe like 10) but they look more natural and are by far more durable. They are definitely worth it. I have mine done at least once a week and have never had any trouble.
ive heared the gel nails are better as they are more flexible. whatever nails you get they are going to be high maintainance
I used to wear acrylic nails all the time... until one night I was working at home and I was closing my desk drawer and my thumb nail hit the desk just right and it ripped my entire natural nail off, all the way down to the cuticle. It was the most painful experience of my life. I had to go to the doctor the next day to have it completely removed since it was still attached on one side. By that time my entire thumb was swollen and the doctor gave me a tetanus shot as a precaution. It took about 8 months for my nail to grow back completely. I haven't had acrylic nails since.
no, they look naff...
no way. don't get acrylic ones. you could get infections. just try to grow your own nails, so much more natural that way. real ones look better too

No comments:

Post a Comment