Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do I get my 11 month old puppy to cooperate when trying to cut his nails? He won't let me do it!?

he has never been cut too short so I don't understand. I have had dogs my whole life and have never had this problem. He shows his teeth the moment I get out the clippers and bites at them.How do I get my 11 month old puppy to cooperate when trying to cut his nails? He won't let me do it!?
Hello, Puppies at this age like to try being in charge of their owners. He is trying to make suchba fuss you will stop and this is his reward. It's easier to start cipping the day you get them so they can get used to this, but in this case he needs to allow you to do this. As was said before make sure your clippers are real sharp and you don't pull the nail, Start out doing one or two nails and let him go and give him a treat, something he usually doesn't get and make a big fuss over him. Wait a little while and do a few more until you are done. And yes patience is the main thing you have to gain his trust and also show him You are the boss and even though he may not enjoy the experience he needs to let you do this. Having another person help you may work better at first they can keep him distracted while you clip, if he is really being nasty a soft muzzle may have to be used for a while til he sees it's ok to have his feet touched and still reward him so he will look forward to this in time. Hope this helps..How do I get my 11 month old puppy to cooperate when trying to cut his nails? He won't let me do it!?
Won't ';LET'; you?? Who's the boss here?
Hog tie him J/K. I had a dog that I received from an abusive family hints the reason I ';took'; her. Anyways she never ever got use to it .So I would have to have someone hold her then I would put my Elbow in the side of her neck. ';Not hard'; just where she couldn't get around it to the clipper's. Then I'd cut them fast no need to go slow when it was already bothering her. I also had a dog that I got from birth on and she has never given me any probs. She really likes to be pampered. I just rub her ears while I do it and it makes her where she can't move (because it feels so good)nor hear the clipper's while I cut so try one of these probably the ear thing first but if all else fells just hold him down


make sure when you rub the ear to do it down low by the lobe of the ear. I know this because I am a vet tech we also use the ear thing on cats.
Patience is the key word here. My dog hates having her nails clipped as well (she hates having her feet handled) and it took me a very long time to get her to calmly accept the process. Important note, NEVER use force to hold him down or he'll end up hating it for the rest of his life. Instead, start by doing only one or two nails a day, with lots and LOTS of praise after each one. (make yourself a chart and keep track of which of his nails you've already done)
I don't know if this will solve your problem but, it sure solved mine.I got rid of the clippers and started using a small re-charable rotary dremil tool with,a small sanding drum approx.1/4 in dia.My dog doesn't put up much of a fight anymore.Infact he seems to think it is some sort of toy.
i don't know if this will work, but whenever i want to cut my cat's nails it shows same problem... so i always pet it on my lap until it sleeps then start cutting the nails. all you need is some patience
One easy way to cut a nasty dog's nails is to run his sturdy leash through a chain link fence (around the post) and pull him


up snug against it. You pretty much have to use a choke collar - not to choke him, but to keep him from backing out of the collar.Then, just keep clear of his teeth and trim away. Try to make it as pleasant as possible for him - give him treats, don't cut into the quick, praise him when he's not trying to bite you. We did this with the guard dogs that sometimes stayed at our kennel and no one ever go bit. I prefer not to tranquilize a dog unless absolutely necessary.
Are your sure your clipper is sharp enough.Pulling at that last moment can be hurtful to the dog.Have some one hold his head while clipping,and perhaps you try a treat,once before and after if you need to think of using a mussel,could be a simple string around the snout.WHEN HE SHOWS HIS TEETH, use the command NO,in a commanding voice,you may have to repeat it a couple of times but they get the point.
What worked for me is, I made sure it was quite and rubbed his feet to get used to me touching them,then once he would relax and know I wasn't going to hurt him I would clip 1 nail and reward him for it. Good luck!! Slow process but worked.
have 2 people you and someone else.then well you clip his nails the other person gives him treats!!!! it worked for me

No comments:

Post a Comment